Monday, November 15, 2010

A Change of Plans


Again, as things often do in our house, plans have changed in regards to my schooling.  The previous plan was for me to begin classes for direct-entry midwifery at Aviva in January.  I love the school and the plan but after months of going back and forth over what I want my end goal to be I have, yet again, and for the last time changed my mind.

I have debated for and against the benefits of becoming a direct-entry midwife and over the possibility of becoming a nurse midwife.  Lists have been made, research has been conducted and I have discussed endlessly with family and friends the reasons that I prefer the direct-entry approach:

-community based learning
-hands-on approach
-more financially feasible
-all education being midwifery specific
-working in a home-birth setting
-online program
-not to mention that  my views of birth are more aligned with the direct-entry approach

as well as the reasons that I have reservations over this approach:

-the possibility of relocating to Portland in order to obtain my births in the allotted time (making it no so community based)
-I would be unable to work or apprentice at the wonderful Mountain Midwifery, our local birth center
-I would only be certified to attend births at home

I have also been considering the nurse-midwife approach. Of course, in my mind I always think of the cons first because this really is the option I least prefer of the two.  Realistically though, the reality of our situation keeps leading me back to this path. So this is what appeals to me about this option:

-financial security for our self-employed family
-ability to work in a home setting, birth center setting or hospital setting
-insurance
-job stability (as much as one can expect this)
-mainly online / no need to relocate

Then there are always the reservations:

-three years of non-specific education
-large time commitment (5 years instead of 3)
-lack of agreement in the routine interventions and the medicalization of normal birth that is taught to L and D nurses

After considering all the possibilities I am confident to say that even though it may not have been my original plan I am very happy and excited with the decision to first attend nursing school then continue on to earn my masters in nurse-midwifery.

The best way to affect change is from the inside right? And boy is our maternity system due for some
change.

Get it? Due.

So here is my new plan of action.  Attend Arapahoe Community for my pre-requisites and Associates in Nursing then transfer to Frontier School of Midwifery and Nursing for the bridge to masters program and finally the masters in nurse-midwifery.  After 5 (8 if you count the out-of-school studying) long years I will finally be a midwife.

I am very excited to take the next step of my life in January!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited by the fact that you will be able to "subvert from the inside" with this plan. And certification under multiple situations allows you a wider area in which to affect positive change!

    So...is that 5 years from now, or 8?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like Secret Agent Girl! Operation: from the inside. I do agree that the ability to practice in multiple setting is helpful and most of the reason for this decision.

    5 years from now I will have the degree. Thankfully the three years of reading book after book after article are already long gone!

    ReplyDelete