Saturday, January 22, 2011

Back With A Purpose

Well, the day has come, after three years of diligently preparing I have taken the next step and began the formal education that will eventually lead me to a masters in midwifery.  It is such a relief to have the financial and class planning aspects out of the way, I now have room to breath and  focus completely on my studies. 

I finally feel the relief.

I have to admit that it feels as bit awkward to be the non-traditional student in the classroom. I feel overly mature and responsible which, I must admit, are traits I am not exactly accustomed to. I am happy however that I did choose to take one of my three classes (my just-for-fun creative writing class) in the classic classroom format.  It is nice to be out of the house alone and with purpose.  It also gives me the opportunity to meet face to face with the variety of people involved in the nursing program. Building relationships can never hurt when the nursing program is selective entry.

That brings me to one of my biggest concerns: the selective entry process. This last week I attended an open house for the nursing program lead by the program director who went over the entire entry process including the program qualifications.  It sounds as if the school's decision to change the nursing program from wait-list to competitive entry (a fairly recent change) has had a huge affect and increased the amount of applicants therefor increasing competition.  I get the feeling that you must have a near 4.0 average and very high test scores to even have a chance. This information is sure to make this year a very stressful year indeed.

Anyway, I am very excited to be this much closer to my end goal.  After years of talk, research, and decisions I am moving forward with the support of a wonderful family and friends with whom I could not make my goals a reality.  A huge thank you to everyone who has given me support, direction, advise, offered childcare or help with studies.  I am truly a very blessed person to be surrounded by such inspiring and helpful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment